sought to inaugurate a tradition of community singing.
Number one on the song sheet was a unique rendering of
Wild Rover. Exactly who was responsible for this composition
may never be known...
I've been a bell ringer for many a year,
And I've spent all my money on peal fees and beer.
Now I'm returning towers grabbed in great store,
And I promise to be a bell ringer no more.
And it's no, nay, never,
No nay never no more,
Will I be a bell ringer,
No never, no more.
I rang for a wedding at our local church,
Where the poor old bride she got left in the lurch.
I said to her love, I know just how you feel,
I felt the same way when I lost my first peal!
We often ring
And none of the learners can believe their eyes.
Really we don't know what place we are in,
We're just looking for gaps and then filling them in!
We sometimes ring three leads of Kent Treble Bob,
And the man on the tenor is given the job,
Of calling a bob each time the treble snaps,
And it comes round at backstroke except for mishaps!
Now my peals number a thousand or more,
And my Dove's is completed right down to the core.
I often think back to my earlier days,
When everything seemed like one long drunken haze!
No comments:
Post a Comment